Friday 28 November 2014

Birds of a Feather for A Vintage Journey


Time for a new challenge at A Vintage Journey - Birds of a Feather - chosen by the lovely Chris Warner.

I began my card by taking some Tim Holtz paper and randomly stamping the background. I distressed the edges and added some stitching.
I die cut 2 birdcages, one in greyboard and one in card which I inked in black soot - as I wanted a little shadow. My main birdcage was painted with picket fence distress paint ( was too lazy to get the gesso out!) and then a good layer of clear distress crackle paint added and left to dry.


My bird was treated in a similar way, but once dry I wanted him slightly darker so added some black soot distress stain. Ouch what a mess! Bapy wiped most of it off and added a little pumice stone distress paint. I think I rescued him from the bin! Oh yes I added my eye ( A rhinestone coloured with alcohol ink) while the crackle was still wet so it sits into the top layer.


I cut some flowers from the tattered florals die and gave them the Jennie Atkinson treatment! Do check out her flower tutorials - they are wonderful.


Finally I added some punched branches, some stamped and die cut feathers (both Stampin Up) and my sentiment from Tim's Simple Sayings.




Do pay A Vintage Journey a visit to see some more wonderful projects.

Thanks for visiting. I am back later today with another project!
Nikki
xxx

18 comments:

  1. The crackle looks wonderful on cage and bird Nikki! love the greys/blues you used on this - like a moonlit nighttime scene! Your flower is gorgeous - I keep meaning to try these and never seem to get to it! A beautiful birds of a feather project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your project. It's looking gorgeous. And yes as Julie mentioned the crackle looks wonderful too. I love crackle effects... Lol
    Thank you for sharing. Hugs from Monica... Spain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful project, love all the details! The crackle on the bird looks wonderful and such a lovely flower! Great project altogether!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific card Nikki with great use of the die cuts

    Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card Nikki with wonderful elements and design. I love all the crackles and those feathers.
    Have a great weekend.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely calming study in monochrome. The crackle is delicious, and the outlining round the cage gives a terrific sense of dimension. Great card!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow,you are on a roll Nikki,this is another gorgeous card! Super little cracked birdy too

    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous Nikki! Your crackle is amazing and your flower is fabulous. Thanks for your lovely comments xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a beautiful and elegant card, the crackling is fantastic and the composition of the card is perfect. The little feathers at the top are delightful. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautifully designed card Nikki. Love your crackles and the muted colour palette is gorgeous against your white birdcage.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a great card, Nikki! I love the crackled bird cage and all the added birdsy embellishments and gorgeous flowers. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning Nikki! The texture on the birdcage and bird are fabulous and I love that feather stamp! Fantastic flower too! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful card, love the colours and cool crackle

    Fabulous flowers and love the feathers

    Jools x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely Nikki - this inspires me to use more crackle. Great colors and design too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful take of the theme

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow all that gorgeous crackle - a fabulous piece of art

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great card Nikki! Love all that wonderful crackle and the stitching around edges. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a great card Nikki. Love the shadow effect with the bird cage. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. Nikki