Friday 1 September 2017

Altered Art for at A Vintage Journey

Altered Coffee Tin with Deco Art Media Fluid Acrylics and That's Crafty embellishments - by Nikki Acton
Today we have a new challenge at A Vintage Journey, hosted by the uber talented Alison of Words and Pictures - I am sure she needs no introduction! Our theme for the next 5 weeks is Altered Art.

We'd like you to get creative with recycled objects in a vintage; shabby, mixed media; art journalling; industrial, timeworn or steampunk style, . Turn something unloved and unwanted into a work of art. Try some repurposing - make something new out of something old, or incorporate an unwanted object into your artwork. Think tin cans and jars, old bottles, toothbrushes - the more inventive the better. 

Be warned this is a long post for me - lots of photos!

I decided to alter a tin that used to hold my favourite coffee - and started by giving it a coat of sealer.
I then added some black paint... I knew most of this would be covered but I wasn't sure at this point how perfectly I could achieve my patchwork effect over the curved surface so better to be safe than sorry!
To create my patchwork around the can I measured the height and circumference ( pi x the diameter or just use a tape measure!). So I needed to cover a surface of 23.2 x 12 cm.
I drew this out on some grid paper so I could plan where different colours were going to go - making sure the 2 ends were different as they would meet.

 I was mostly using Andy Skinner techniques and, of course, the idea developed after recently attending one of Andy's workshops. If you missed my Fishy project you can see it here:

I began on my different techniques.
Some I could do as an A5 piece - others I needed to cut to actual size as I was using Andy Skinner's technique or adding hair product around the edges.
These pieces are coated in a base colour, some hair product added to the edges and a second colour over the top. Once dry - scraping away the hair product reveals that chipped paint look. On many of the pieces I added some additional stamping.

Here they are all complete:
Altered Coffee Tin with Deco Art Media Fluid Acrylics and That's Crafty embellishments - by Nikki Acton
Now the difficult bit! Adhering to the tin in the correct order and hoping I had the correct amount of space. You can see some tiny gaps in places so it isn't perfect..
Once all the pieces were secured I coated the entire tin with varnish just to make sure. I took some That's Crafty greyboard cogs and added a little sand texture paste, some paynes grey, a little raw sienna in places and finally quin gold.
Altered Coffee Tin with Deco Art Media Fluid Acrylics and That's Crafty embellishments - by Nikki Acton
and a few close ups:
Altered Coffee Tin with Deco Art Media Fluid Acrylics and That's Crafty embellishments - by Nikki Acton
Altered Coffee Tin with Deco Art Media Fluid Acrylics and That's Crafty embellishments - by Nikki Acton
Eeeek I was a couple of mm out!
Altered Coffee Tin with Deco Art Media Fluid Acrylics and That's Crafty embellishments - by Nikki Acton
I hope you like my altered tin! I am back in a few hours with another Altered Notebook so do pop back. In the meantime there is lots more Altered Art inspiration over at A Vintage Journey.

I would like to enter Frilly and Funkie latest challenge - A Little Rusty.

Nikki
x

18 comments:

  1. Your creation for Altered Art is fabulous Nikki. Love the crackle and all the other textures. Thanks for sharing with us. Hugs, S@ndy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow what a fantastic way to showcase all those brilliant Andy S. techniques! Super alteration and I was most impressed by your pi calculation to get the measurements right! :o)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your patchwork design is wonderful, I love all the different techniques and colours which has resulted in a fabulous storage tin ........ now I wonder what you'll keep in it? Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Nikki, what a fabulous patchwork of brilliance, I didn't notice any gaps at all whilst I was admiring the genius of your construction. So many wonderful techniques, I just love the 'pitted' pieces, they look so realistic! This is fantastic! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completely in love with this, Nikki - and it's made me realise I really must make more use of all the wonderful techniques I've picked up from Andy at various classes. Fabulous colours on all the panels - and like Astrid, I find your curved calculations very impressive. Just fabulous!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had an amazing time making this fabulous altered tin Nikki xx Wonderful details and I just love the way you have layered all the products/colours for a stunning outcome...love it !!!

    TFS and have a lovely weekend
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an amazing idea so skillfully executed! Nikki . The range of colours and techniques in all your patchwork pieces is fabulous and they compliment each other perfectly. Love this lots. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an inspired idea !!! I love and how clever to get all the pieces to match (so much patience). I think this will be a wonderful inspirational piece on your craft desk with all those wonderful techniques and colours. Fabulous altered art! Jennie x

    PS Need to look at this "hair " product!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is fantastic Nikki, such an amazing patchwork effect, brilliant!!
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so impressed and amazed with this project Nikki! I think the cracks between the pieces make it look all the more like a patchwork, and not as if it were one piece. Each and ever section of your grid has such amazing texture and technique! What fun! I'm off to revisit your fishes post and see what else I can learn today, what fun! Thanks for sharing and inspiring. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness what a thought out plan and design on your altered can Nikki! How fun with different techniques on all of your 'patches'! Now you have a work of art for storage that will be inspiring to look at! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing transformation of your coffee can, Nikki! each of your patches is a work of art unto itself! Hair product??! Oh, that's what it's used for! No wonder it doesn't work on my hair! I've got to visit your fishes ASAP, as I need to learn these techniques! Fabulous project here, and I think you should share it with us at Frilly and Funkie "A Little Rusty"! Hugs!
    http://frillyandfunkie.blogspot.com/2017/08/a-little-rusty.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to see your lovely artwork in the gallery at Frilly and Funkie! Thank you so much for playing along in our A Little Rusty challenge! Hugs!

      Delete
  13. What a brilliant transformation Nikki. I adore all the rusty, aged elements so authentic. A fantastic textural useful piece of art . Hugs. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous rusty, chippy, aged vintage patinas Nikki, adore the patchwork you've created on your tin, what a fabulous transformation! Thanks so much for sharing it, Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow so beautiful, the crackled effect is amazing, great altered project

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful mosaic of fabulous textures! Love your upcycled art! Thanks for playing along with us at the "A Little Rusty" Frilly and Funkie Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. Nikki