Friday 6 January 2017

Going round in circles - abstract journal page

Today we have the first challenge of 2017 over at A Vintage Journey and I love this theme - 'Going round in circles'. This journal is actually an old library book so I began with a coat of gesso to cover most of the text and images - but I like to leave some showing. I added other torn book pages and added random stamping. More gesso - toned down my surface and added additional texture.

I then used stencils to create random background interest - including the squares you can see which turned out to be quite dominant but I like their contrast to all the circles. I also scraped paint across the page with a credit card in places.

My circles were created with various bottle tops or jars - just dipping in paint and transferring to the page. I then used my fingers to loosely paint inside them. I used Deco Art Media Fluid acrylics - and you can see the wonderful transparency of some of the colours. 

Finally back to the credit card - using the edge to add some vertical and horizontal lines.
Spot the odd finger print in some of these close ups!
Highlighting the circles with a bit of white or a lighter tone adds to the depth of the image.

This really is a great challenge theme and can be interpreted in so many ways - do hop over to A Vintage Journey for lots more inspiration from the team.

I would like to enter the following challenges:



Nikki
xxx

22 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! I was attracted to all of the lovely layers and then your bright circles against the muted background. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous journal page, Nikki! I love that you put squares and lines behind the circles - it's a great contrast, indeed! I also love the colours of your circles and the white lighting inside! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great design Nikki - with the bright orbs interspersed between the scratched lines and stenciled blocks - what dynamic pages! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous gorgeous art journal page Nikki! Fabulous layers and I love those bright circles. Fabulous! Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely ♥ this ! Nikki. Arty, Striking and a real Wow for me . x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love these pages, Nikki - the colours, the shading, the subtle paint layers giving depth and dimension - it's really fabulous.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nikki, this is gorgeous! I love the colours and the contrast between the squares and circles is fab - great balance. Love it! Thanks for the inspiration. Jean.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous ! love everything about it !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that delicious layering Nikki! Seeing the text through the background and then those dominant circles on top works so well xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nikki! I absolutely love this!! Hope you are well xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how the circles look 3D and jump off the neutral background, very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving your abstract journal page Nikki, it has such a wonderful arty feel to it, - fabulous!! Brilliant layering of colours!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great design for your journal pages, Nikki! I think the contrast of the darker square pattern with the transparent circles provides just the right amount of balance for my eye. Love the variation of the transparency and translucency of the baubles! Great depth an dimension! Gorgeous piece and a big round of applause! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Nikki, you have managed to create a dramatic piece that is also somehow soothing to the eye, I love how you created so much depth too. The coloured circles are beautiful! A stunning piece of work! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Nikki. Loving this piece. Such great balance to it all. love the colour scheme too. Very satisfying piece of art. Thanks for joining in with us once again at Country View Crafts! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really fabulous Nikki - the design would great on a canvas!! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your pages Nikki, the colors are so pleasing and the depth you have achieved here is fabulous. S@ndy x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this! Love the colors, the shapes and the stencils you used! Love! Thank you so much for playing with us this month at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW...WOW....WOW.....just love this!! So much detail! Thank you for joining along with The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So happy to see your work taking top three at Mixed Media Monthly! Yippee!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. Nikki