Friday 2 December 2016

Winter Magic - A Vintage Journey

Tim Holtz Christmas Mosaic and Snowflake dies
I am so behind with my Christmas cards this year! At A Vintage Journey today we start the last challenge of 2016 and it is hosted by the fabulously creative Deb who has chosen Winter Magic for our theme. This is what she says....

For us in the northern hemisphere December brings the start of winter and for many that means freezing cold weather and Christmas. But winter is so much more than that and so we ask, how would you interpret the magic of winter? Snow, icicles, colours of blue, silver and white, the festivities of Christmas, misty winter landscapes; show us what your magical focus is for the season and in a vintage; shabby; mixed-media; art journaling; industrial or steampunk style.

I decided to incorporate two Tim Holtz Bigz dies - Mosaic and Snowflake Duo. I die cut and embossed the snowflakes and marbled various blue distress paints on my craft mat before swooshing them through it. With the leftover paint I did the same with a piece of card for my base panel. A little brushed pewter was smeared over the embossed areas and once dry I highlighted further with a white oil pastel.
Tim Holtz Snowflake duo
I finished the base panel with the remainder of the metallic colour and filled in the gaps with iced spruce distress stain.

I die cut the mosaic panel and measured the card to fit over my base. I then sprayed with distress sprays and stamped with an old snowflake stamp. My greeting, some matt and layering and some little white snowflakes finished my card. 
Nikki
xxx

15 comments:

  1. Fabulous make Nikki - the color with the snowflakes are truly "Winter Magic". Hugs, S@ndy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab card Niki, great background and wonderful use of those dies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous grungyness here Nikki and love the background plus those frosty snowflakes.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card! Niki . Just love the colours and those snowflakes are gorgeous . My kinda card .
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card Nikki, love those snowflakes which are perfectly icy looking
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful Nikki. The colors are so perfect for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love the frosted metallic look of this, Nikki - great work with those snowflakes.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful way to combine these die designs Nikki. I love the frosty look xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful colors and fun way to use the mosaic die Nikki - Your snowflakes are beautiful! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great combination of dies Nikki, they look brilliant together! I love those gorgeous snowflakes and the lovely cool frosty colours you have used. A truly beautiful card. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how,you used the dies Nikki and the icy blues really add to,the wintery/ frosty feel. Lovely piece. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. A truly beautiful card Nikki! Love those blues! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliantly designed Nikki, I love the mosaic background with the gorgeous snowflakes added over the top and the wonderful wintry feel you have achieved with the colours too. A beautiful Christmas card xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous combination of colours and design Nikki - such a wintry feel to your stunning card. Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. So gorgeous Nikki, love the snowflakes and brilliant use of the mosaic die, what a beautiful card! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. Nikki