Friday 4 March 2016

Industrial Bird Silhouette

Today is a new challenge at A Vintage Journey - not only that but it is a brand new A Vintage Journey - we have a new style and new sponsors. I am hosting March's challenge and we are using the Destination Inspiration Travel Bag which consists of:
Substrate – Board (eg - grey board, coaster board, cardboard, chipboard) 
Main Colour – Lilac or pale purple 
Technique – Rust Effects (perhaps using rusting or embossing powders or rust coloured paints) 
Product – Something metal 
I decided to combine the styles and products of Tim Holtz and Andy Skinner, to create this dimensional canvass. 
 I started with greyboard and using mod podge to layer lots of torn strips of embossed card stock. I then added Deco Art sand texture paste to the edges and some pearls in the corners. Once dry I covered it all in black acrylic. Again after fully drying, I dry brushed gesso over the surface.
   Finally - to add the chosen colour - I dry brushed dusty concord distress paint over the surface too.
Next I die cut loads of cogs - large and small - and layered them onto the edges of the canvass and also some card.
 As before I added sand texture paste, painted black and once dry dry brushed with white gesso.
I die cut the bird silhouette out of the textured card and mounted it on 2 other die cuts from foam board, which I also painted black.
This time to both the card and the canvass I added Deco Art translucent paints in Quinacridone Gold and Yellow iron oxide. 
Finally I put my three layers together and added my metal embellishments which I added a touch of treasure gold to (Royal Amethyst I think - I borrowed it at a crop!)  

I would like to enter this canvas into:
Our Creative Corner - The Return of the Challenge ( I selected Go Rustic- Oct 14)
Sandee & Amelie's Steampunk challenge - Anything Goes SteamPunk / Industrial

Sorry for the long post! Hope you like my Tim Holtz / Andy Skinner combination. Lucky enough to see both of them at Stitches at the NEC the other week! And not forgetting the amazing Mario, he really is lovely.
  Back tomorrow with a shorter post...(I promise).
Thanks for stopping by.
Nikki
xxx

22 comments:

  1. I just LOVE this canvas Nikki - the thickness of your bird - all the gears, the embossing and wonderful layers of gesso and paints - a beautiful project! Great pics of a wonderful gathering too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this canvas Nikki! It's one of those you want to reach out and touch. Great to see you at Stitches too! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fabulous industrial canvas Nikki, love the techniques, colours and outcomes and love the interpretation of the travel bag contents. Enjoyed our day at stitches with Andy, Tim and Marino, great fun.
    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Echoing Jenny's comments, yes I just want to touch the bird, gloriously coloured and textured...as is the rest of the canvas. Fabulous!! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific project Nikki and great photographs

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a great time Nikki! I'm so jealous that you got to meet so many wonderful crafty peeps!! Your project is just incredible, wowzers!! I really want to reach out and touch all those amazing layers of textures! That bird is awesome!! Well done! Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Layer It Up' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely stunning project! Nikki you well n truly nailed the contents of the travel bag . Love everything about it from start to finish and thanks for sharing 'how to' and offering so much inspiration .
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaaaarrrgghhhh JEALOUS! You got to meet the man himself you lucky thing! Love your creation especially the way you made the bird,I had to double check as I thought it was a solid lump of metal!
    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful project Nikki, I totally love your industrial bird, how clever, it truly looks like a metal bird! And the colour combo you have achieved here looks so striking! Super piece of Wall art and such great photos from Stitches too, lucky you meeting all the guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fabulous challenge and your project is gorgeous!! It was so lovely to see you again at Stitches too! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautifully industrial style project Nikki! I love the layers of texture and paint effects. Your bird is gorgeous! Lovely to meet you at Stitches too! Love the photo! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. a wonderful piece Nikki - loving the piccies too! great tutorial - awesome work x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing industrial project Nikki, the bird is fabulous (love the depth you achieved, it looks like a real heavy metallic piece!) and the patina on your whole project is wonderful. Thanks for sharing it and for a great challenge theme this month at AVJ! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. A brilliant piece, Nikki! Love how you combined the styles and techniques of the two to create your very own piece of steampunk art! And thank you so much for taking us through the steps too! I really enjoyed that a lot!

    Thank you for sharing your beautiful piece of steampunk art with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

    Hugs,
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me again...forgot to add: thank you for joining in our challenge over at Our Creative Corner too!

    Big hug! Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nikki - great challenge and wonderful project. Just love how you used the embossing and the colors. The way you layered everything is so cool. Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my! This is fabulous! Glad those two gents inspired you to create this! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a brilliant industrial piece, Nikki - the background is so cool and I love your dimensional bird - wonderful use of the contents of the travel bag!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is super fabulous, Nikki! I always love getting a peek into your process, as I am constantly inspired by you. Gorgeous piece! Thanks so much for sharing your art with us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous! Love the texture in those fabulous layers. Wonderful industrial design. Thanks for playing along in the Frilly and Funkie Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful technique! I'll try it , the result is amazing! Your piece is fantastic! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an awesome piece! I love it. I don't know how you come up with all these very creative ideas, but so glad that you do and that you are willing to share them. So clever!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. Nikki