Friday 3 April 2015

Frame it!


Time for the start of the April challenge at A Vintage Journey today. The theme is selected by Julia and is 'Through the Looking Glass'. Here is how Julia describes it:
Let's make a project involving glass (acetate) or mirrors (metal sheet), perhaps a window or a clock face, a hand held mirror or glass bottle.
A great theme!

I decided to make mini picture frames incorporating the wonderful phrases from the new Perspective stamp set. I started with the small frame above but decided it was a little dull so made the larger one with the postage stamp die. 
I cut 5 frames with the middle taken out and one complete frame for the back out of greyboard. I also cut a complete one out of acetate. I glued together 4 frames leaving the front and back ones separate for now. I painted all the edges in brown acrylic paint.

For the front frame I also started painting it brown then added texture paste through the flourish stencil and added weathered wood embossing powder. Once dry I heated the frame to melt the powder. I then decided the weathered wood needed subduing a little so spritzed it all with vintage photo distress spray.


The image within the frame was stamped in archival, sprayed with weathered wood distress spray and once dry inked with the same colour DI. The mixed media thinlet was cut from a similarly coloured piece of card - although I made this one slightly darker with a little stormy sky.


Once I was happy with my background and arrangement I glued the image to the base section and then the layered elements. Finally I added the acetate and top embossed layer.

I really should have taken a few photos before the acetate was added as it isn't great taking photos through it! 



Thanks for visiting today. There is lots more to see over at A Vintage Journey and a month to join in this fantastic challenge.
Nikki
xxx

23 comments:

  1. Fabulous frame Nikki, great idea to layer to get dimension and definition. Two fantastic frames! :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely frame Nikki - great take on the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful frames Nikki! I love the embossing on the darker one - and the butterflies and sentiments inside on both - what a creative idea for the challenge! Thanks so much for joining in with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Nikki, love the Perspectives set and what a great idea to showcase those wonderful sentiments! Thanks for sharing your inspirational pieces and your process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning framed pair Nikki

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful makes Nikki,love the frames,this looks like something you'd pay a fortune to buy!
    Have a lovely Easter
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous mini frames, beautifully put together and I love the new quotes too.
    Happy Easter.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous Nikki! I love how dimensional you made the frame and the postage die is such a perfect choice! Really need to get my hands on that one! Love your butterflies too, what fabulous creations! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful projects, super framing for the images and quotes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nikki, both framed hangings are gorgeous! Love the butterflies and dimension! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your take on Julia's challenge, the frames are both beautiful the way you have decorated them. It will be lovely to see these quotes hanging up, they are both such great quotes. Anne x

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Nikki, these are great and what a fabulous way to interpret the challenge. I love the stamp frame with the flourish stencil too, it's beautiful grunge!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just beautiful, Nikki - your subtle vintage neutrals and brilliant layered postage frames work so well. Love the texture you created on the fronts of the frames.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are beautiful Nikki, loving your backgrounds, look like Granite.
    Have a lovely weekend, Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful work Nikki - really wonderful pictures and frames - have a wonderful Easter x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the way those frames have been altered to pick up on the designs inside them. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely work. Thank you for your comments on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely work. Thank you for your comments on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea ! The frame are Amazing and I love so much design inside! Happy Easter! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG! You made two frames?! These are lovely, Nikki!! What a surprise to come over to your blog and see twice the niceness :) The butterflies under 'glass' look like they could flutter away if not contained in their beautifully made frames :) Completely perfect inspiration creations for this month's Through the Looking Glass theme, Nikki! Just love these!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, Nikki, LOVE these framed pieces! The sentiments inside are perfect, and I love the one with the mixed media thinlets in the background. Must add that to my wishlist. I love how you made the postage stamp frame and then textured it. I have that die (the stamp), but how do you cut the center out so perfectly? These are really nicely done-bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous framed projects Nikki. Beautiful layout and use of the sentiments. The butterflies are the perfect addition too.

    TFS and hugs Annie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely quotes in those gorgeous frames -

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. Nikki