Friday 9 January 2015

Use a Portrait at A Vintage Journey


Hello everyone. My posts are scheduled at the moment while I am on my hols - so if I haven't been to visit you in a while it is because I am without an internet connection. Be back soon!

The challenge starting today at A Vintage Journey is to 'Use a Portrait' - any portrait will do. Our Tim Holtz inspired challenge does not mean you have to use his products just to be inspired by him.

I used some 'Found Relatives' images for my tags. I got a little carried away making these so forgot to take many photos - whoops.

I started with some mop up tags I found on my desk! They would have been from distress paints ( have I told you how much I love them!).
I then proceeded to add some background interest with stamping and stencils. I focussed on letters and numbers as I had the theme of the two young girls in my mind, learning and developing - they reminded my of two sisters.
 I am afraid that is where the process photos stopped. I selected some elements from Tim's paper stashes to go on my tags and played around with collage layouts for quite a while. All my final bits were distressed and inked at the edges.


I took a doily and coloured it with tarnished brass distress paint too. The butterflies are punched using a Stampin' Up punch. I took an old book page and coloured it with broken china distress ink before scrunching it up and punching them out. I stapled 3 together on each tag and added a little linen twine.
My flower is a bought one which I sprayed with distress sprays. I coiled the wire attached to the flower and placed it through the tag hole. The little hearts were coloured with broken china and rock candy crackle added.


And that is my two tags! I hope you like them. 
Thanks for looking
Nikki
xxx




26 comments:

  1. Gorgeous tags Nikki! Love those butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tags are lovely Nikki! wonderful colors and layers - great texture with the clips and butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow your tags are so beautiful thanks for sharing.

    Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your fabulous tags. They look so genuine vintage. You are so creative and skilled.
    Thank you for sharing. Hugs from Monica... Spain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful collaged tags Nikki, love the layers and learning theme for the two girls. Hope you are enjoying the warmth where you are and seeing lots of wonderful places. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic tags Nikki-love the portrait.

    Hope you are enjoying your holiday

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning tags both of them Nikki, love how you build them up and such great use of those lovely portraits! Great layering and composition, just a perfect pair!

    Hope you are having a fab time in SA!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome work again, love the distressing you've acheived on the paper framing the photos, beautiful tones and accents. Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous tags Nikki, I love your grungy backgrounds! Hope you are having a wonderful time on your vacation! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this pair of tags, Nikki - such pretty colours (great mop up tags!), and the letters and numbers for the learning - lovely touch! Gorgeous book page butterflies too - one of my favourite things.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous Tags Nikki, I fell totally in love with these the minute I saw them. Love your colours and collaged technique. Hope your having a fab holiday.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful twosome. Great details and lovely photos.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Niki, love all the details on the tags, lovely work x

    ReplyDelete
  14. The backgrounds you created are really beautiful and your finished tags are stunning! Hope you are having a wonderful time. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely adore these tags Nikki - fabulous collaged design on those wonderful backgrounds! Just wonderful! Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifully stencilled tags - love the design of both of them. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love those tags Nikki, so gorgeous and vintage. I could see them on an old beautiful vintage suitcase as luggage labels belonging to each girl pictured lol. Love the layering and whole design in general xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing tag textures and colours
    The layering, images and embellishments are beautiful

    Jools x

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are beautiful Nikki, I love the layers and the blues and browns are perfect for your tags xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I do love those colours and such lovely 'found relatives' too! Two great tags! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are wonderful Nikki,beautifully made in the vintage style,just what I associate with you ;)
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful grouping of tags, Nikki! Love how you used the found relatives and butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What I wouldn't give to have one afternoon crafting with you! I love your style and you have really done a wonderful job with these found relatives...love them! A great idea to use the numbers/letters for up and coming students. And, my personal favorite in any shape or form...butterflies...and you have made them so special. Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just love your tags Nikki, thank you so much for participating in the challenge. Sorry to be so long with my commenting but just came home from CHA and am getting caught up.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your "sister" tags are beautiful. I love the colors and how you created the layered backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. Nikki